Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Floating

3-6-12


I don’t know that I got more sleep or if I am just recovering, but I feel much more alert this morning. It could be due to the fantastic results I just got!



A1C numbers measure your average blood glucose over a period of about 3 months. A non-diabetic person will have a test result of 4 to 6%. When I first started caring about this number, it was because they said I was at 11%. Yie, right? After my first test, I changed a ton of stuff. My next test, which was about 4 months after the initial number, was at 5.9%. This was exciting news!

Those results came in right at the beginning of the holiday season. I knew that there would be temptations galore with pretty ribbons. For Christmas, a fellow diabetic even gave me a container of chocolate! What the hell? But now, I am sitting here with an A1C number of, drum roll please, 5.4%!!!! Not only did I maintain, I lowered the number.


I feel good. I rode about 5 and a half miles yesterday on the bike. I did the gym workout. I also helped bring in a bunch of heavy boxes and a piano (more on that in a bit). I worked my ass off yesterday, and clearly, I have been working my ass off for a while.

I am especially redeemed because I let myself be a little less crazy. I had coffee again. I had the occasional piece of cake. I didn’t restrict myself as much as I used to do. This doesn’t mean I can go crazy. It means I can be human. I am allowed to let down my guard from time to time, as long as I make sure the bulk of my decisions are healthy.



Yesterday, Ken went out to Murrieta to retrieve several items from Sandra. These included everything from just some items she was getting rid of like pots and serving dishes, to the piano that Doug learned music on. It is going to go well in my décor once I do some changes. We also acquired a couch sectional. I am not thrilled with the fabric or color, but it is something I may be able to work with while I save up for a better couch. In fact, my idea is to get some nice fabric from JoAnn’s and Ken can possible add some stitches to it and make a nice cover. We shall see. I am feeling motivated to re-do my living room in a style that is more me.

The good news is that aside from soccer games on Saturdays, we don’t have any huge weekend plans for a few weeks. Our game is at 10 in the morning on Saturday, and I am free as a bird the rest of the 2 days. I will be working hard on the garage and house!



Part of the other inventory that came into our lives is the left over booze and provisions from the Vegas trip. I have enough stuff now to really fill the party cabinet with stuff for an actual party! I have to go through bunch of stuff that is in there, along with new stuff and figure out what is tossed, what is put on the lawn for a yard sale, and what is kept for the opening night of the movie screen we hope to have some day.

The stress I was soaking in last week seems to be draining and I am feeling so very refreshed.



Last night we went to Chris’s house in order to view his more complete video of Aaron at rock bottom. It is footage from the fateful day in which Chris had to go retrieve an Ambien intoxicated Aaron who had somehow managed to drive to Best Donuts in his stupor, and then ended up ‘stuck’ on a street near his home. It is truly heartbreaking to watch when you realize how bad off he truly was. At one point, Aaron takes a good 5 minutes just to fight with a crumbled pastries box into submission. It is one of those futile efforts of putting it into a torn plastic bag that show exactly how out of touch he was with reality. He would actually fall asleep mid conversation.

Chris took his video and added some information on the screen along with subtitles to be able to decipher what Aaron was mumbling about. There are still some edits needed, but more importantly, there is discussion as to what to do with this film work. Ideally, it would be used as a warning to people who abuse prescription medicine like Ambien. The only issue with this is that being that he works with kids, there is the risk that parents and administrators would see this as a liability, despite his sobriety. Hopefully he can come up with some way that more people can view this because even if you don’t know the patient on the screen, sadly too many of us know people who struggle with this.



Wacky Wednesdays are upon us. March is when the school has the kids do different wacky themes on Wednesdays. Tomorrow is the crazy hair. I know one day is jammies. Not sure the other days yet. I told the boys that I would join them in their wackiness. So my hair tomorrow will have to be something wild. Hopefully when we go out this evening in search of hair product for them, I can find something for me as well.

I need to spend some quality time on a work project.

No comments: