Friday, March 2, 2012

Finding my Zen

3-2-12


As the time warp gets closer, I am in the midst of a combo of nostalgia and fear.

Just the fact that I am about to go on a trip is stressful enough, but being that I am leaving my boys for 2 days, missing their soccer game, needing to go to Murrieta, and all of the other things that come with life, I am slightly overwhelmed.



You would all be proud of me, though. I took Ken’s advice and I am not going to let the RC of our AYSO region dictate how I handle things. I have a small deposit to make, and yes, it would be ‘best’ if I took it to the bank today. But you know what? I am not going to stress about it. I have too many other things to do right now, and honestly, a couple of checks being held until Monday will not break the bank nor will it bring down the institution of AYSO as a whole. So dammit, I am not going to freak.


It is a real shame that I don’t anticipate getting to bed as early as I would like tonight, especially considering I will be up a good chunk of tomorrow night and most of Sunday. However, as I am typing this, I am getting new information on the possibility of postponing Murrieta until Monday. I must admit, it would make life easier.

Last night was our first practice with the Spring team. Lots of newbies, which actually makes it more fun. Less skill means less cocky. All of them seem pretty enthusiastic. I really need to email Dax’s old coach, Ed, and thank him for what he taught Dax and I. He showed us a ton of wonderful drills that were a lot of fun and perfect for the skills we need to teach these kids. In fact, I conducted a lot of practice last night so Ken could talk to the parents and also observe the boys to assess their skill levels.



After running around a bit last night, I am starting to wonder if I am not ready to start some jogging. I am thinking I will try some light stuff, maybe even in grass. Not sure yet. It felt good, and I think if I start slow, maybe jog/walk/jog/walk I can do it. Plus, it will burn more calories. I will still be able to ride my bike, but how cool would it be to at some point jog a 5K!

I just got word we will be able to have Ken do Murrieta on Monday. Holy crap, that is awesome news. One less thing to have to worry about this afternoon. It means I can go home, get my boys, and even spend some time with them before we leave them at my folks’. I also can talk to my parents about the uniforms and soccer stuff. I am happy. I can go to bed at a reasonable time! YAY all around!!!

Speaking of bikes, I sustained my first minor injury from the bike. On Wednesday night, we took a couple of quick rides around the block on the bikes. I even got to take Luna with me, which was super cool. She did incredible and I think she will adapt to bike running quite well. She is a good listener, which I know would shock anyone who knows her. She was not the cause of the bike injury. She also managed to come out of the accident unscathed. Dax did too, who was actually the cause. He stopped suddenly and kind of crashed himself, which didn’t work well for me, who was unable to stop quickly enough. I did manage to keep my bike from crushing my kid and my dog. I did get poked by my stupid pedal which made a muscle spasm an issue the rest of the evening, but I managed. Considering our luck with bike injuries this last week, I will take this as lucky for us.



I have a disturbing need to keep stealing the uber cute stuffed animals that my boys cast off and bring them to my work. My desk is starting to look like an FAO Schwartz store.

Ok, two stress points removed for the evening and one considerable reduced. I am on a roll, peeps!





Dax’s cemetery turned out awesome. I was very happy to be able to walk the boys to school yesterday and see the class’ reaction to it. Dax was pretty damn proud of it.

I am feeling so much less stressed that I feel like dancing.



I got my blood work done yesterday. This is a blood panel that will test my A1C’s again. We are hoping that my being a little more lax in my sugar consumption has not increased the numbers too much. The first round was such a tremendous improvement, so it would be a shame to have it all shot to hell because I wasn’t caution enough anymore. I did let some things back into my diet with the hopes that I can lead a somewhat normal life using moderation as the key. I have still been doing exercise and keeping my glucose levels at good levels. It is rare that my number is above 105. I think the highest it went recently was 115, and that was after a meal and I was on my period and under shit tons of stress. I am not making excuses, nor should I panic on 115. But still, I want to be sure that I am keeping with my better lifestyle.

I believe they are also checking my cholesterol numbers this time. I have been taking my fish oil and hopefully that will have helped those numbers as well. I go in to the doc next Friday to see how I am doing. I am excited and nervous. I would have liked to have lost more weight, but you know what, I am doing well. Clothing fits better, I feel good when I exercise, and overall, I am healthier. One day at a time, peeps.


Bobby has been having behavior problems in class. He is distracted easily and is much too chatty in class when he should be working. It has resulted in him coming home on red. Let me explain; the kids have an envelope that contains 4 colored cards that indicate their terror level. No, wait, that’s the homeland security thing. This shows how good/bad they are being. Same thing, really. Green is good, yellow is a warning, red is bad, and semi recently they added blue, which I guess means you killed a kid at recess or something. Not sure what happens when that card is showing, but thankfully Bobby has not gotten to that level.


 
Red, though, is bad. Bad enough that Mrs. Kelly has talked to us about it. She told us how he is very bright, but just seems to not be able to stay focused. I can assure you, Bobby can focus really well, when he wants to. He has always been a focused kid on certain things. But I totally understand what she is seeing since he does the same damn thing at home during homework. It is super frustrating for me to deal with just one kid doing this, so I can imagine a teacher who has to keep an eye on 24 other kids while Bobby is doing this is hard to deal with.

The first couple reds were greeted with random punishments. Ken then came up with the board.

The board shows if he comes home with red, he loses his 4 Carsons. The next day of red, he loses something else. On the 3rd day, he starts losing things like his bike, which I can assure you would devastate him. If he is on green, he can bring something back from red card banishment. And not all Carsons at once. He can bring back one per green.


Carson

So far, it has been helpful. He was on red Monday and lost everything. He was on yellow Tuesday, and has been on green the rest of the week so far. He is really paying attention to this new system. Ken even told me that if he stays on green today he can get the remaining Carsons back since he is spending the weekend with my folks. Perhaps this combo of punishment and reward will get through to him. Or, as I have been saying for a while now, Karma is a bitch. My mom pointed out that I didn’t start giving her trouble till Jr. High. LOL!



The original idea for tonight was that Ken and I might go use these PF Changs coupons tonight after we say goodnight to the boys. Not sure if we will do this, but now that we can, I am feeling giddy. We might just pick up some grub on the way home and get packed and get to bed early. We are probably leaving our house by 8 since I know the bus leaves at 9. I want to get over there early since maybe I can feel even less stress.



Ok, I really should stop this epic blog that honestly I had not intended on even writing this morning because I thought I would be too dang busy. I am finding my Zen this morning and dammit, it is good!

No comments: