Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy the dog

3-22-12


I really liked getting home early yesterday. And even though I had loved the previous weekend that was full of rain and cold and darkness, I felt very refreshed riding my bike to the school in the fresh, spring weather. It was really nice out, and the sun felt good.


We managed to finish all but a couple of items of homework, which is good since it means today Bobby should be able to complete the rest even before I arrive home. It will allow me to straighten up the house a bit before Stephanie and Sabrina arrive.

I had to meet up with the region commissioner and co-commissioner at Wilson Park, so we opted to ride our bikes up to the park. We got there much earlier than my soccer people were there, which allowed us to ride around the park several times. It was a nice way to workout and hang with the family.

I had to write a handful of checks and sign several things, and it really wasn’t too big a deal. I didn’t like that I had to do all of this on an uncomfortable bench, but in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn’t that big a deal.

When I was done, it was relayed to me that apparently our children take after us. The boys had somehow found a dog and when I walked out of the community center, they were sitting on the ground by the bikes, Bobby with the dog very content in his lap. It was really cute.

He was a cut little terrier mix of sorts. Actually, he was kind of like an all white, tiny Panda Dog. He had clearly been bathed recently because I could smell the perfumed shampoo on him. He also was pretty decently groomed and didn’t look like he was a street dog. Sadly, he was unaltered and lacking in a collar. We rode the park, seeing if we could find his owner, but there was no one that seemed to be missing their companion.



I had him in the basket of my bike, which brought back fond memories of riding around with Panda in my basket. That was one of those things that seriously was the best thing about childhood. It was just me and my dog, and life was good.

We opted to take the pup to the shelter since if someone was looking for him, they would stand a better chance finding him at locations where they could look. The boys and Ken stopped for a bit to watch the train pass, and the dog and I rode on ahead since he seemed to enjoy it more when we rode faster.

He was a super sweetheart. Tiny dog, couldn’t have been more than 8 pounds. He was quiet and calm and truly would be a great dog to own. Dax dubbed him Happy and both the boys seemed quite fond of this little pup.



I felt bad turning him over to the shelter if only because I hated seeing him so scared. Ken laughed at me since I had been cradling him since I had gotten him out of the bike basket. I also had taken to rocking him, not even realizing that my hips had begun the gentle swaying I used to do when I held the boys when they were babies.


I have Happy’s number at the shelter, which means I can keep track of him. Granted, even if his owners do not come for him, Happy will easily be either adopted by a nice family or swooped up by the rescue groups. I would be extremely tempted to adopt him myself, but I know better than that. I have 4 very needy cats, a bitchy old dog, a dingy young dog and numerous rodents. Not to mention the whole people aspect of peeps I take care of. Although, Ken pointed out that Luna and Happy would really enjoy each other.

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/LostFoundDetails.asp?AnimalID=A4408004

On our way out, I noted the building next door which I have always seen, but never knew what it was. It is apparently some kind of foster care service for kids. We decided that really, it seemed wrong to have some kind of orphanage next to the animal shelter, unless of course they team up!



Seriously, why not offer a special. When you foster a kid, the kid gets their own critter to take home! It is like a two for one special! You go into the main office and say, “I would like a sandy haired blonde, and a sandy haired blonde.” Come on! The jokes write themselves.

No comments: