Monday, March 14, 2011

Garden time!

3-14-11




I want to go back to bed. I am sore and tired.



Saturday was tough. It was awesome because we got the garden ready. Tough, though.



We started the day with a trip to Del Amo for this dinosaur Kidgits event. Really, we go long enough to get the freebies. Dino goodie bag complete with mask and dino grabber. They also got some other goodies and made some crafts, which was nice.



I dropped Ken off at the U-Haul so he could rent a pick up in order to go get the mulch. We then set to work on the front. While Ken tilled the soil, Bobby and I shoveled mulch into the area so it could all be mixed together. It was hard work! Dax helped a little, but he mostly just wanted to ride his scooter.



We got way too much mulch, but it was good because we filled the other flower beds and put some around our tree.



Ken took the tiller and truck back, while I started in on smoothing out the area. And in a shocking moment of parental sanity, I allowed the boys to stay home while Anthony’s grandmother watched them for a few minutes while I drove up to U-Haul to pick up Ken. Mind you, this was only like a few blocks away, but for me to be ok with leaving them, and for them to be ok with me leaving, well, this was monumental.



Ken did the rest of the garden shaping and I hosed down the mulch and cleaned the driveway and sidewalk. Although the front was slightly fragrant, it looked good.



I should have probably gone to bed early that night, but instead, we caught up on Glee. It was quite happy making.



Sunday was much more mellow. We had considered going to the kite festival, but opted against it. Instead, we worked on laundry, did some light cleaning, and dinked around the house. Sabrina came over for a bit while Stephanie and Dave went over to visit a friend in the hospital. I got some awesome pictures of all the kids. Sabrina was even more chatty with me, which rocked. I like that she feels comfortable with me.



We went to bed sort of early, but the best part of all of that was curling up with Ken to watch a couple of episodes of M*A*S*H. Total heaven.



The boys get their Spring pictures today. I picked out outfits for them. My plan is to just scan then in when we get the pictures back, and then return them without purchasing them. Hopefully they are not covered in those things that say sample and crap like that. Although, it sounds like if we like them, we just keep and pay, so that sounds like real pictures to me. But seriously, I don’t need to buy pictures for my kids. First off, I take plenty of awesome pictures of them. Secondly, why spend more money on things that are not as needed. Thirdly, I can just scan them! YAY!

I am excited about this article I read on CNN where this guy recorded 3 years worth of video and audio of his son’s speech development. I find it fascinating and brilliant what this will provide to the world in terms of learning about how a child learns simple sounds and how they develop them into full blown sentences. I have been amazed at just how my own kids talk, and I have not been privy to every second. I look forward to him releasing the footage that they are putting together like a time lapse video.



I was not impressed with the article I saw on CNN about making your dog vegan. I understand the appeal to be vegan. You don’t like the idea of animals suffering and you feel that it is barbaric to not use meat substitutes in this day and age. But truly, I find it disturbing to project your lifestyle choice on your pet. Dogs, if given the chance, would still love to eat a good ham bone. I know that Luna’s happiest moments are when she is chomping away at her bone at my feet as I watch tv. Sure, there are bones made out of some other synthetic material, but being that my dog didn’t choose to be anything but a dog who likes bones. I would never deny her something like a real bone. I come from a family that allowed me to read whatever books I wanted when I was little. I could have been any religion, eaten any foods (to a point) and really been any person I wanted to be .Projecting your views on other people is kind of rude in so many ways. Sure, have your belief system, but don’t require me to have the same. And dogs, who are not people, who are even more basic, which is so freaking amazing and awesome, should not have to have our beliefs either. If it is for health reasons like a food allergy, fine, but please don’t think that your dog gives two cents about how you live your life.



I was terrified at some of the footage of tsunami footage. I showed some of it to the boys, as they wanted to see what I was watching. It was tough trying to explain to them that these people have nothing now. Bobby was in shock. He kept listing things, and it was just unreal for him. I hated that this might have scared him a little, but at the same time, I was impressed with his curiosity. Who knows, maybe some day it will inspire him to help people in need. Or just make him want more stuff so he never is without things.



I am all kinds of proud. Maryann told me that Esther has been singing my praises for how great I have been covering for Jean. Yay me! I know I am efficient, but it is always nice to hear that other people think so, too!

1 comment:

Brandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.