Thursday, May 28, 2015

Irish Family

5-28-15

That was a lot to handle yesterday.

Tuesday night, I checked on Toph’s incision site. It was a little pink, but the most alarming thing was the small hole. It was opening up. Never a good thing. We located a cone of shame and put her in the bathroom overnight since the clinic was already closed. Ken ended up taking her in the morning.
Turned out not only had she managed to pop open her incision, she also got a pretty bad infection. Not cool. So they had to re-open her in order to stitch her back up. I picked her up early afternoon yesterday where she was still coming down from the anesthesia. She was not a happy camper. However, when we got home and she realized it was me, she was desperate to get out of the carrier and get to me. I had to keep her in the bathroom a bit to let her rest. She was not having it. My hallway sounded like a horror flick with her scraping her cone on the door trying to get out. I sat in there a bit with her, petted her and was amused that the cone acted as an amplifier for her purrs. We let her wander the house a little last night, but she mostly just wasn’t sure what to do with herself. The cone was clearly annoying. She spent the night in a cage as I don’t want her irritating the site. She is on Clavamox so hopefully everything will clear up quickly.

Her fate was on my mind all day. I was sort of thankful for the reports I had to work on. I finished them in record time, so I ended up completing a whole bunch of other projects. I did the work of 4 people yesterday in less than a full day. It was nice simply to keep busy.

Soccer texts and emails also were crazy yesterday. Parents needing advice on changing regions and executive votes on donations were front and center. It wasn’t bad, but it did add to the general chaos (General Chaos-salute) that was afoot.

I am also still trying to not be frustrated with the track team. Dax had his off site practice on Tuesday which was cool, but I hated watching him sit around for 45 minutes of the 60 minute practice. They spent much of the time working on the relays, which I suppose in some ways is the one thing that needs real practice since the baton exchange is difficult to master. I found out that Dax is running the 50 meter dash, which he will rock since he is a sprinter. He also is doing the running long jump, which I didn’t expect since I would have guessed he would be better at the soccer kick. My intel (thanks, mom!) showed that 3 graders didn’t do more than 2 events each. 4th graders were more likely to do 3. I also found out that there are 17 schools participating at the track meet. Sheesh! It is a bummer that we will end up watching a whole lot of meet with only a couple of insanely quick runs for Dax. The good news is he can train over this next year and maybe next year he can be on something like the relay. I am betting they put him on 50 meters because that is where his strengths lie, which is why he isn’t doing something like a relay. That being said, I will be good and not be THAT parent who demands her child be a part of every race.

I am considering going to Hull with Dax a few times over this next week to have him run the track. I can walk with him and he can not only get some stamina training, but I can have him do some sprints and time him. He needs practice not looking over his shoulder and just running through the finish, not slowing down near it. I think once he is racing fast kids, it will not be an issue.

Today looks to be significantly less crazy. Dax has practice for his play at school so he stays after class for a bit. It means I can hopefully get Bobby done with his homework quicker since we won’t have a distraction. Somehow I don’t know that this will actually happen. Especially when he comes up with gems like he did yesterday.

It occurred to me that I am the world’s worst parent as I rock out to O.P.P. and White Lines in front of my children. Bobby asked me why I thought this and I explained that the two songs personify sex and drugs. Bobby chuckled and said that it was ok since we are an Irish family so they can handle this. Not sure if I am impressed with his reasoning or concerned about his views on what Irish means.


No comments: