Monday, May 11, 2015

Organized Chaos

5-11-15
Every day I am at work I find myself fantasizing about winning the lottery so I can stay at home.
Friday I went to a funeral. I showed up super early, concerned that it might be crazy packed. There are a handful of churches in this small section of Old Torrance and I knew parking was always a bitch when church was going on.
It turned out to be a pretty small service overall. There were maybe 45 people total. It allowed me to sit in the very back so as not to intrude. Sure, I wanted to experience the whole service, and I wanted to pay my respects, but I also didn’t want to insult anyone or make any aspect of the funeral to be about some random Facebook chick showing up. It would seem rude.
The priest was this little Asian man who seemed incredibly lovely. At one point, there is a time in which he was able to speak what seemed freely. Obviously with a Catholic service, there is a lot of traditional aspects that need to be done, but it was nice to heard this man talk so kindly to Lisa and her family. He spoke a lot of how humans need to gather for things like death. He pointed out that sure, everyone in that room was most likely thinking about things they would need to get to later, but for this hour, we still all set those things aside to say goodbye. He talked about it is this ability to love others that god specifically gave humanity. It was incredibly deep, and in a lot of ways it made me feel better about crashing this funeral. We don’t have to of known a person to feel sad for their passing, and to be together, even with folks we don’t know, doesn’t make us weird. It just makes us human.
I could have gone to the reception, but I still felt as though this would be inappropriate. I slipped out the way I came in once everything was done. I also ended up helping two ladies who had been lost during the whole service. They were driving past and stopped to ask for help. I told them that although they missed the mass, the reception was about to take place. They seemed relieved that they didn’t miss that aspect.
Lisa sent me a message shortly after I left. Clearly some random purple haired girl in the back of the room isn’t going to go unnoticed. She thanked me for coming and wanted me to come back. I declined, simply because I had other things I had to tend to. I was super flattered that she not only recognized me, but told me next time we need to hang out. I told her I would love that and hope that it is during happier times.
Saturday morning, I got up crazy early for it being a Saturday that I was totally allowed to sleep in. Ken and Dax headed out to the soccer field at like 6:30, and truly that meant both Bobby and I were up. He and I did have chores to tend to before his friend, Ian, was to show up at about 9, so it just meant we started early.
We managed to scrub the kitchen, clean the living room and downstairs. I straightened the bathroom and then Ian showed. They were playing GTA in the living room, which meant I needed to find something to do other than watch tv. Laundry, cleaning my room, cleaning out a closet along with numerous other chores. I seriously kicked some domestic ass. It kept me busy and out of the boys’ hair while they played games and watched YouTube for 4 hours.
After Ian went home, Bobby and I headed to the soccer field to retrieve Dax. We hung out for a bit, which only resulted in bickering between them. Super frustrating all around. I wanted to go to Target, so I took my chances with taking them. Luckily, they were mostly ok. They only got grouchy after we got home and we said we were going to dinner.
Ken got home from soccer and decided he wanted steak, so we went to Outback for him to get a steak. Thankfully, the steak was good since most places never make it the way he wants. The boys were mostly ok with the menu there, so I suppose that is still a win.
Sunday morning, Ken headed out early again. After he left, I was up. I couldn’t sleep, so I took a shower. Both boys didn’t want anything to do with my nonsense. We were going to be meeting up with my folks around 10:15 for Don Jose’s. I ended up leaving super early because I was bored. I bribed the boys with donuts and so it allowed me to get out of the house and gave me destinations before brunch.
Don Jose’s was busy when we left, but we were disappointed when we were there since the service seemed slow. Thankfully they have such nummy food, it is hard to stay mad at them. I of course ate way too much, but it is all so dang yummy.
We then headed to the Del Amo Mall in order to make my bear. It was a bit chaotic. Dax chose to make Hulk, so I opted to make this rainbow kitty that was cute. Bobby made a white cat. They complained about accessories, which was frustrating. Although, Bobby did get underwear for his cat, which was pretty damned entertaining. Ken had sent me texts asking if we were coming by the field. He wasn’t feeling well and needed meds. I felt like I needed to rush a bit because I needed to get to the field.
Sadly, Ken was super sick and when he got home he pretty much went straight to bed. I am glad I made some dinner, but did feel a bit sad sitting on the couch watching That 70’s show, stoned, all alone. It wasn’t the ideal Mom Day, but I know I should not complain.
Today I have a dentist apt with Bobby at 4. I need to make sure my house is straightened up before I go to bed as my mom is coming by tomorrow to watch Jersey Girl. I also need to start getting Dax’s Indian project done, which should be interesting with him now on the track team, which means he will be at the school late I think two days a week. Yeah, stress and chaos in my future.

Sigh. I need a nap. 

No comments: