Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tales of a Four Day Weekend

5-26-15

It is never a good sign when the boss shows up super early on the first day back from a long weekend.

It was a good weekend, though, so I am trying to stay positive. I am glad I took Friday off as I got to sleep in along with getting a crap ton done all day. We started the day off with going to the school for “Portfolio Day”. I am not a big fan of school activities that are scheduled for the morning before school since it is pretty obvious the district forgets that in this day and age most people work for a living, but it is what it is and I am glad I was able to go.

Bobby’s classroom was first and I adored the mission the class worked on over the past couple months. It was adorable! Bobby was able to point out the people he made and the other contributions he created. Even though I think it would have been fun to make missions at home, I loved the teamwork involved with the class making one giant mission. I also know that Bobby really seemed to get a lot out of the whole project and he talked about it daily. This makes it even better!

I was a little jealous that they had done the owl vomit project and that I had not known it was happening. That being said, the results were so cool! We had seen Mike Rowe do one of his early Dirty Jobs shows on people who collect the owl vomit and then sell it to schools. It was fascinating how these little balls contained such perfectly preserved bones. Bobby had a skull and a tiny little jaw bone in his along with other bones. It was so cool! I am going to get a box frame so I can put it up somewhere.

Dax’s classroom was so crowded! It is always hard to maneuver in there anyway, but then add a crap ton of parents and it becomes impossible. I really enjoyed having Dax show me how he did his weaving. It was so simple yet cool looking. He is working on another one after having done 2 already. The yarn he chose for this one is really pretty and I am anxious for him to finish so I can put it up somewhere.

Ken and I didn’t stay for the assembly or PTA meeting. We needed to get out to KROQ in order to pick up the soccer tickets for the game that night. It was fun, though, since KROQ was doing their Party Machine morning in which they play just random, fun and happy songs all morning. It is the best! Since we used to go to the live broadcasts for Party Machines pre-kids, it was almost like doing it again. Sure, we didn’t get to see Kevin or Bean, but it was still fun.

Once we got back home, Ken had to jet off to go to class which allowed me to go take care of bank stuff for the region and get the oil changed in my car. I got home early enough to have spare time which allowed me to clean like crazy. I scrubbed the kitchen and worked on laundry. I even mopped the floor! I felt all accomplished by the time the boys arrived home. I wanted the place to be nice for the weekend so that we didn’t have to worry about too much. I also wanted the place to look nice for Mrs. Fasheh who was coming in the morning. Yay me!

Dax and Ken went to the Galaxy game and had great seats! Not only that, but Dax won a shirt and got a picture with the mascot who came up to him. Jerry, Nicole and Ally were also at the game so they got to go say hello to them. Dax was truly in hog heaven. Ken tried to get tickets for an upcoming game at the Rose Bowl for Dax since Messi was going to be playing. Sadly they were pricey and sold out quickly. Hopefully soon we can get some so Dax can see him play up close.
Bobby and I didn’t go to dinner as planned. He seemed more interested in just hanging out and playing his PS4. I can understand that. So he and I did head out and take bowling tickets to my dad and we visited there for a bit. Then on the way home we picked up Wendy’s which was his choice. 

On our way home, we also happened to see Angela waiting for a bus. He and I both considered going back for her to take her home but I didn’t want to subject him to her brand of crazy for the night and honestly, it was not supposed to be a night where I took a friend to her apartment. It was supposed to be just me and Bobby. I have some guilt, but overall I am ok with my decision.

Saturday morning, Toph and I headed to San Pedro for her appointment. I didn’t go nearly as early as I normally do, and subsequently there were already two people already in line. I didn’t mind, and didn’t even raise a stink when 2 people cut in front of me when the doors opened. I figured I would get in when I did and just hung out. I ended up chatting with a nice rescue lady who complimented me on how I looked to be one of the only people there who really loved their animal. She pointed out that out of the crowd there, I was the only one talking to my cat and not on the phone. That’s why my cats are better than your cats. Ha!

Mrs. Fasheh came over around 10:30. It was nice seeing her and she was so happy to see the boys growing up so much. She couldn’t believe the different in Dax. He really has thinned out since she has saw him so it was cute how happy she was. She didn’t stay too long, but it was nice to chat with her and congratulate her on her retirement. She is planning on still doing some private tutoring so I am hopeful that I come across someone that may need a tutor so I can refer her.

Toph was ready much earlier than expected, which was nice because I was happy to get her home. She is healing well, but I can tell she is feeling a little off. She has been super affectionate which has been cute, but I still worry. She is eating ok, though, and still mostly active even though she has been a little more lethargic than normal. It’s funny, though, it feels like they flipped her love switch and she is now super kitty wanting more petting than she used to.

The rest of the weekend included some projects, shopping and movie watching. Sure, we could have probably gone some places and done something fun, but it was nice not really having to be somewhere. I also was glad we were able to spend some time and watch the new Into the Woods and The Imitation Game. We also re-watched Inglorious Batards. It still holds up and is so much fun despite the whole Nazi thing. Hmm, we watched two Nazi flicks. How strange.

We put up some curtains downstairs, which is awesome! It will be nice since it will keep out the super intense sun in the afternoons during homework. We also were able to pick up cool things for the cupboard to store our cookie sheets better. Yay IKEA! We picked up a thing for the broom closet, too, but sadly it didn’t fit. We will look for one at Lowe’s since I think the idea of having a rack that rolls out with the trash can and some shelving will be good for that.

Ken also cleaned up the garage a bit and we cleared out the recycling from the Catio. I am hopeful that maybe this week I can get to the side of the house again and go through the remaining items. Much of it looks to be trash, but we are not sure. We couldn’t do much since one runs out of trash space so quickly these days when you work on a project.

We took our baby stuff over to Maria’s. It is nice to keep cleaning out so much stuff as it makes the house feel even more awesome. I really need to work on my desk, which may be a this week project if only because I need to go through some soccer stuff for Saturday. We have a registration even at the Carson Library. The boys will spend the night at my folks on Friday night, which means Ken and I will take advantage of a free night for a date. I am glad the boys can spend the day with my parents on Saturday since it will mean they don’t have to be bored at the library. I think that Sunday I will have to come up with a fun family outing.

With 4 of the next 5 Saturdays soccer-fied, I am hopeful to work on everything to get the yard ready for the pool. We are almost there! I am looking forward to swimming.


I suppose I should work now.  

No comments: