Friday, April 9, 2010

cranky

4-9-10

I am not sure if I am cranky or not yet. All yesterday afternoon the cranky grew in me. I was ready to just kick someone’s ass for the hell of it by the time bed time rolled around. I hate to blame it on female issues, but that is kind of how it felt. Poor Ken got yelled at the second I walked in the door when I got home. I sat down to bitch about the idiots on the road and he tells me he wants me to watch something. He had been watching Bullshit all day (Penn and Teller at their best) and he had one he wanted me to see. I assumed it was a 5 minute part, but it was 30 minutes. I flipped out. I don’t even know why. I guess I was annoyed that he wanted me to sit down for 30 minutes. I ended up watching, and then got even more on the defense when the topic was “Stranger Danger”. For those of you not familiar with the show, it is kind of like MythBusters, but no explosions, and way more swearing.

The topic was slamming over protective parents. As if I wasn’t pissy enough, I now felt instantly on the defense. I was ready to debate any thing Penn said, which is pretty ballsy for anyone since he is not only uber brilliant, but usually right on all topics. In any case, I was fired up.

They had two moms debate. One was terrified to let her kids go anywhere alone. The other, a super intelligent blogger and columnist that is all for letting her kids loose and not hovering over them every second. It was not a fair fight. I hated the paranoid mom, but I sided with her simply because I didn’t feel that her views were accurately portrayed. I am that scared mom, but I also am reasonable, and I wanted to make sure Penn knew this. Of course, the only person who heard me was Ken.

They talked to lots of women I was actually familiar with. One was the woman who let her son take the subway by himself, and he is only 9. She ended up being the person behind Free Range Kids, which is something I was familiar with. This morning I even downloaded several pages of blog from her to reconnect with it.

They also talked to Samantha Runnion’s mother. That was heart breaking, but she was a parent who had lost a child to a predator, but still felt that kids need to not be sheltered. Clearly, the vibe of this was please stop smothering your children.

The show ended and I was on edge. I told Ken this saying how by him so insistent on me watching this episode, I felt like he was attacking me. Ken was quick to point out that actually, he was impressed that despite my internal fears, I tend to be more in sync with the women profiled on the show. He said that I am not crazy and that he thinks that even though I don’t always feel safe about normal experiences, I let them do them and that I don’t promote fear in their heads. I guess that is something. Ken doesn’t think I am crazy.

Dax spilled some water and said, “Damn!” I didn’t scold. I didn’t laugh. I was actually impressed with his use.

We are loving the Netflx disc that now lets us watch movies instantly on the Wii. I am telling you, it is a godsend. For one, this is how we were able to watch Bullshit. I don’t have to wait for a disc, and things like tv shows, it is so much easier!

This morning, I think that I am going to vege out into the world of reading. No boss man today, and I have lots of stuff to catch up on. It isn’t like anyone ever comes to my desk.

I finished reading Stella’s memoirs. Stella is Ken’s great grandmother. She had written about 25 pages worth of her life down. It is fairly condensed in some spots, and detailed in others. It is a fascinating read, though. Her mother died from Typhoid fever, not long after she had a still born. Her father was gone a lot, trying to provide for his family, which meant her sisters often took care of money and other things. She ended up living with her future husband, Robert’s, family when she was only 16. She married Robert at 17, and became a Brenan. It is such a different time, and to hear the jobs she held, and how she struggled at times, and her husband died super young, it is all interesting. Also, her son has three kids, and the last one was Bobby, AKA, Papa Brenan! Too funny. I am sure that I will bombard poor Papa Brenan and Andy when we are up in a couple weeks with gobs of questions. They didn’t know they were inviting crazy broad. LOL! It should prove to be an interesting trip.

As a side note, and just because:

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

That is all.

No comments: