Friday, April 2, 2010

finally-I can post stuff!

4-2-10


I have been sucked into the radio world all morning.

This morning, Ralph Garman from the Kevin and Bean Show announced his wife just had twins. I know, why does this really matter to me? Well, having met the crew from the show a lot and having listened to them for 20 years, they are kind of like family to me. They had not even mentioned his wife being pregnant before today. Her water broke suddenly at 31 weeks on Friday, hence why he disappeared with no explanation on Friday. He has been gone all week, and today he was back, and gave us the news. A boy and a girl, named Lincoln and Olivia.

So then, the next segment was about people who happened to share the name with someone famous who ended up ruining their name for them. I of course promptly emailed them, explaining that Dax is an awesome name, until of course the likes of Dax Sheppard comes along and does a bunch of weak ass movies. I still have people asking me if I named him after the actor. Of course, I have gotten strange looks when I point out it is actually from Star Trek, but that doesn’t bother me. Bean then mentioned that he got email from a couple of listeners who had named their son Dax and pretty much read my email on the air. I wondered who else could have possibly named their son Dax. Turns out I know the guy. That would be Ken! LOL! He had also emailed in. Too funny.

It is going to be a busy evening ahead of me. I have gobs of shopping to do. I need to get a birthday present for a 6 year old girl at the Disney store. The good news on that is that she is having a Little Mermaid party, so an Ariel themed present is easy enough. I also need to go get Easter basket stuff for the boys. I then have grocery shopping galore, which includes brunch fixings for Sunday and lasagna ingredients for Tuesday night. I volunteered to make a lasagna for work and Brandy is coming over that night to make a vegan one. It will be bonding over pasta. LOL!

I am in the process of making my guest list for my Build A Bear party. I am also trying to determine cost. Ken is suggesting we pay for the $10 a person party and let guests upgrade at their own cost. I think this is reasonable. I mean, there are bears that are $10 to $25, and gobs of accessories. People might want to pay an extra $2 for a different bear, then an extra $25 on clothing. I wonder if it is rude, though, to do this. I will be getting my $20 dragon. I am sure my boys will be getting whatever they want, too. I don’t think I need clothing, but who knows. I am also wondering if I can buy a carcass before hand and bring it as part of the party. I ask because I want to make sure I get my dragon and I don’t know how long they will have him. He is available Monday, and if I go get him then and then bring him along for the party, it is one less bear to buy then? I am going to the mall tonight so I will ask my wonderful folks at the Build A Bear there. I am still thinking of having it at the Anaheim location, though. I think they have the upstairs we can use, which will be good. I also need to start inviting now. I need to know how many bears are being made. For example, I know out of my 4, only 3 of us will be making bears. Not saying I don’t want people to make bears, I just need to know an accurate count so I can pay for it. I just need to figure out how to create those invites.

Yesterday I scared the shit out of Bobby. In all fairness he scared the shit out of me as well. I was outside playing with the dogs and Bobby comes running up from the back of the yard. He had been playing under some wood he found under the play house. He says to me all proud, “Mom, check out this spider!” Knowing that he had just been moving around wood that had been in a spot for some time, I knew that there was the possibility that it was a black widow. Plus, when he opened his little hands, I see this giant, pure black spider.

Fuck!

I yell at him to drop the spider. He argues with me, telling me how nice it is. I am now running towards him, with dogs bouncing around me, desperately trying to get Bobby to get rid of the spider he had in his hands. It started crawling on his arms, and I didn’t want to spook the spider. I knew that she wouldn’t bite Bobby as long as everything was calm. I was anything but. Finally, it jumped down off of him and onto the ground. The problem was, even after I yelled to Bobby to leave it alone, he scooped it back up. I was livid.

Thankfully this is when Ken came out. He grabbed the spider from Bobby and also yelled at him because he wasn’t listening to me. I know Bobby was not listening on this because he knows I am a little squeamish about the poisonous spiders Ken keeps in the house. Bobby, who is proudly not afraid of any bugs, was trying to make me feel comfortable. The problem was, he doesn’t know how to identify which ones can hurt him.

The spider turned out to be a pretend black widow. Phew! Either way, the second Ken has possession of the spider, and also expressed concern over the spider, Bobby broke down crying. It finally dawned on him that he could have been in danger. I felt so bad, but I wanted so badly to explain to him that he needed to listen to me when I tell him to drop something.

The incident inspired a spider lesson. Ken took this spider and showed Bobby the differences between this one and the actual black widow. Bobby helped Ken make a new habitat for one of the existing spiders, and they even put the new spider in a nice jar. Bobby seemed less upset, and really enjoyed the whole experience by the end. All in all, scaring the shit out him was probably a good thing.

When I told the boys we were going to Aunt Holly’s in a couple months, Bobby cheered and Dax very serious asks me, “Does she have the trampoline?” I tell him yes. There is silence for a minute. He then says, “I don’t want to go on the trampoline.” Poor kid still knows that is how he broke his leg. I assured him that neither he nor Bobby will be playing on the trampoline. LOL!

Maybe Build A Bear party is not a good plan. Starting to wonder.

I just went onto La Leche’s site to look into joining. I am considering some kind of counseling position. I had considered the hospital, but they told me that they could not place me where I wanted to be, it was just where they needed me. I don’t really want to empty bed pans or take out trash. Not that it isn’t something they may need, but that is not my plan right now. So, La Leche has something called Leaders where they do a number of things. They want you to reflect on your own goals, and so of course, I put it in writing. I wrote up my inspiration and I am going to send that once I do more of the qualifications needed. Plus, my MIL has a good friend who works with them already and who may be able to help me out. Yay! I posted the piece as a separate one, so please tell me what you think!

No comments: