Monday, August 23, 2010

iphones baby!

8-23-10




A weekend full of events and sadly pain. The physical kind since it seemed that between Dax and I, we were in some kind of competition to see who would get to go to hospital first.



Saturday morning I was tired after having been up late the night before with all the birthday running arounds for the party. This didn’t help I am sure when it came to how I managed to get a big ole bruise and cut on my hand. I was setting up the picnic table and putting up the umbrella on it. I honestly don’t know what I did. One second I was putting the umbrella through the hole and getting it raised up a bit, then next thing you know, I have blinding pain in my right hand. I almost threw up, it was that bad.



Dax pulled out in the lead on the injury list pretty quickly. He managed to flip out of the pool, scrap up his shin on a cinder block, trip on the porch against the scrape and then get his in the face with the pool skimmer. Luckily he got lots of presents to distract him.



The party was a perfect mellow. Stephanie and Sabrina showed first, and my parents and Matt came. Brandy also showed, making the whole party filled with happy making people. The kids swam, and us grownups chatted about everything from tattoos, death, jobs and everything else in between. It was wonderful! Ken manned the grill and between the yummy chicken and burgers and great cake, it was a good day!



Sunday was also busy. Instead of bowling, we took the kids to Disneyland. Seriously, if you want to go to the Magic Kingdom, go right when the park opens. We went right when it opened at 8 and left by 11, and we managed to cover a whole lot of park. Space Mountain, Buzz, Casey Jr, Big Thunder, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, spent time on the island, Jungle Cruise (which in my opinion had probably the best captain in ages) and ended the day with Tiki Room. Not bad!



Dax fell asleep on the way home, but he didn’t go back to sleep when he went to lie down in bed. Neither of them did. I really miss regular naps.



Ken went to a birthday party so I went outside with the boys while they played in the pool with the dogs. Those 4 are always so happy when they play together. It warms my heart.



I got some sun, then moved back to the shade because it was too hot for good sunning. I was taking it easy as I was in gobs of pain. I have been bad and have not obtained better shoes. I tried wearing my Vans for Disneyland, hoping they would be better than sandals. However, I think that amount of walking would have done me in no matter what shoes. I could hardly move. My heel hurt even while sitting. I could be sitting and I would lift my foot to prepare to stand and it hurt more than even standing. I am calling the doc today.



Ken got home and we went to the Apple store. I had no idea that since the iPhone craze, it is not recommended to go to Apple Stores on the weekend. There is an actual line outside the store in which you have to wait your turn to get a phone. I guess since they have to actually get the service signed up, too, it takes some time. The store was packed aside from the few of us in line for phones. We waited maybe 45 minutes. Lucky for us, the kids were fantastic. Seriously. I was impressed. They played Super Why on iTty (best app I have downloaded lately) and watched Yo Gabba Gabba on it. Bobby also played some of the games on the iPhones that were there to play with. Based on their game playing ways, it may be time to invest in a couple of hand held Nintendo systems to have for these situations.



I am now iPhoned! Woo hoo!! I am very excited. I can’t use it to its full capacity yet since Ken has to upgrade the text messages this morning (they for some reason could not do it at the Apple store), but it works well. I have to be careful to not do things like download apps and stuff unless I am at home where I can use that network. No reason to run up the data plan unless I need to. However, I have the green light to use the net, Facebook and email as much as I want right now. Woo hoo!! I am connected to the net from everywhere now. I think everyone should be scared.



Bobby got his guitar. He has recently become obsessed with them and we had even looked at the ones at Costco on Friday night to see about getting him one for Christmas. Ken and the boys were on their way home Saturday morning from the store and they passed a few yard sales and there was a guitar, in great condition, for $4! Woo hoo! Ken also got me a kick ass croquet set which, ladies, means a Heathers Party is in our future. He also got me a couple of awesome old frames for the hallway, and one even had this postcard postmarked 1908! Way cool.



My electronic gadgets have halted my productivity. I have been playing solitaire all morning, messing with my camera and working on set up for my iPhone. I am not accustomed to getting my texts with sound. I usually feel my phone buzz and that way no one knows I am getting messages. Now, my phone bings each time. It isn’t a huge deal, and I am sure I will get used to it. Most people in my dept let their phones ring and make noise all day. Another girl has an iPhone here and I hear her phone all day long. It isn’t loud or anything. And really, it is such a quick sound, it isn’t a big deal. I do need to set up my ring tone when I get home. I loved my tone on my old phone which was “Let’s go to the Mall”. Right now, since I don’t have that song on my phone, I just have it set to quack at me. It is supposed to vibrate, too, but the vibrate isn’t very strong. Plus, it seems to quack and vibrate. So I have it turned down a smidge so it doesn’t bother anyone, or more realistically, they will hear a random soft quacking and wonder what they are hearing.



I also feel I need to be on the hunt for a fun phone cover. Right now, we got a couple of cheap ones at Target because they were soft and will protect the phone for now. I need skulls, people.



Have I mentioned how excited I am about going to the Compound in a couple weeks? First, I get to dress the boys up in crazy awesome outfits for the reception. And second, I get to take my pups to the river. So jazzed!!!!



I am starting to realize that even with this much boob, I don’t have enough room for all my gadgets. I will need to only wear things with pockets soon.



My nephew Daniel starts college today!! Holy crap! Where does the time go? He was only like 6 when I first met him, only like 4 when Ken and I started dating I think. What is up with that???



Good news. I have an appt with the doc at 1:45 today. I see my cool second doctor. Really, I never see my PCP, just members of her group, which is fine with me since I love them all. But this guy in particular is one of my personal favorites. I speculate that they will tell me it is just the planters fasciitis, but it will be good to rule out anything worse. Right now it seems way better than yesterday, and it only mostly hurts those first few steps from my desk. Then it seems to stretch out. However, I do notice it still hurts just in general, also, so who knows. I wonder if I will get x-rays? Either way, I think I will go home at noon thirty and pick up Ken and Bobby and head over there. Especially good idea to have a driver in case they do something to my foot.



I feel like such a dork for playing with my phone so much this morning.



I emailed the soccer folks and it turns out that since Bobby is the under 6 set, he really only plays for an hour a week. He practices for something like 30 minutes with his team, then they play the other team right after (which is what I was thinking was going to be the case). It means there will not be practices to take him to each week, so that is a good way to ease me into this whole soccer mom thing. He will probably only play on Saturdays, and my guess would also be it will only happen on Saturday mornings, so it will be pretty easy, really. Of course, this also has to take into consideration things like him having school all week long, also, and all the other things that go along with being a 5 year old.



Bobby was super cute yesterday. Dax was mad that I didn’t pick up a toy off the floor for him in the car. So I of course did the whole, “I guess it is time to trade me in for a better mom.” Bobby, laughing, says, “No mom, just let me tell you how to be!” He proceeds to tell me to always watch out for bad people, drive careful and be nice. I think these are pretty good instructions!



Hee hee! Just as I finished writing stuff, I get a call from Bobby’s new coach! Her name is Candace, and she wants to meet tomorrow night at Shakey’s pizza in Torrance. She wants all of us parents to meet and the kids to meet so that we can work together as a team to get all the information she has. I am very nervous and excited!!

No comments: