Monday, July 9, 2012

Only two injuries over the weekend!

7-9-12


It would probably seem to most folks that the gift of a few hours of alone time would be bliss. Sadly, when you are someone who is not able to just sit and do nothing, it is torture.


This afternoon will be ok. I leave work and head straight to the dentist for some crown work. I should get home in time to work on some last minute clean-up for Daniel’s arrival this evening.

Beyond that, I have plans one day with Stephanie since it happens to be the perfect hours of after my work, before hers, and during a time in which Sabrina will be at a class.

I am considering random bike rides during this time. I may ride to Target at some point. There are other random shopping destinations I can probably map out, too. I won’t be slowed down by kiddos, and I will get in some extra exercise for the day.

Ken, the boys and Daniel won’t be getting home each day until after 5 at the earliest. I am kind of looking forward to doing the whole dinner on the table when they all arrive thing.

The weekend was good. We discovered a Mexican food restaurant close to home that was fantastic. Lucio’s in Old Torrance has beckoned to us since we moved to the area. Of course, it is also one of those places you kind of forget when it comes time to actually go out to eat. But lately we have been scoping out Mexican food that is close (bike distance) and has the ever elusive “sloppy taco”.


Lucio’s was clearly a family owned place that was pretty empty when we arrived. It wasn’t fancy by any stretch of the imagination. Thankfully, for our Mexican food challenged children, they did offer a chicken strips kid meal. I really wish I could get them to understand that tacos and enchiladas are numtastic.

We ordered standard food so as to determine the quality of something we are familiar with. I was quite pleased! My enchiladas were quite tasty, with a fab sauce. The sides of rice and beans were also good, with a good ratio of both to the extra sauce which made for happy making chip dipping. Ken was happy with his tacos, even ordering one to go to see if some of the soakings would create the “sloppy taco” for later. Although it didn’t have the desired effect, they were good enough that we both agreed that we may have finally found our local Mexican food joint!

Friday afternoon, I also managed to have a spectacular shopping trip. I went down to the Galleria with pants on the agenda. I had noted a huge sale at Forever 21, which meant my gift cards for both the Galleria and Forever 21 would be stretched farther.



I hit up the clearance section and what to my amazement was multiple pairs of pants, all in my size, and even one that was a pair of fantastic red jeans with faint leopard print on it. These happened to be a pair I had coveted when they were not on sale, but I opted to wait. I am so glad I did! I ended up buying 3 pair of pants and after discounts and gift cards, I spent all of $7.08. Yay!



In addition to the great haul, I was complimented several times in the store by both patrons and employees. In fact, one clerk spoke to me at length on my hair color. It was quite gratifying to feel hip enough at my age in a Forever 21.


Saturday morning took Dax and I on another quick shopping trip to the mall, this time checking my luck at Old Navy and hitting up the Claire’s for hair clips. I did find one hair clip, and a cute necklace for my mom that looked like cotton candy. Dax and I spent quite a bit of time in Claire’s, both of us marveling at the uber cute inventory. I resisted the urge to buy this one cute purse (although I am having bouts of frugal remorse). We almost watched a girl get her ears pierced, since Dax wanted to see it done. Sadly they seemed to take forever, so he lost interest.



We went into the Disney store, too, and I have found the silly toy that I really want. It is one of the Disney dolls that is the Queen from Brave. It comes with a rubber bear suit complete with crown. Anyone feeling silly can totally pick that up for me. LOL!


The afternoon was mellow, as I worked on laundry and other cleaning activities that needed to be done for our houseguest. I was getting a smidge stir crazy in the house, so we mounted up the Brenan bikes and rode up to the Redbox to rent a flick for the evening. We had hoped for Green Lantern, but sadly it appeared to be in the broken kiosk. So the boys chose Journey 2-The Mysterious Island. It was an ok flick. The Rock is always entertaining and charming as hell, even in a silly role. The boys enjoyed it, which was my main plan, anyway.



After they went to bed, Ken and I watched Breaking Dawn part 1. Yes, it was the stuff that cheese is made of, but I still enjoyed it for the most part. I am just happy to be so up to date on some of this pop culture phenomenon.

Sunday had Ken off gaming so the boys and I hung out at the house. I noted that Kam was in route to Anderson Park to have the kids ride bikes, so with a spontaneous text and some quick thinking, we fired up the Blazer, loaded the boys’ bikes and headed out. We were not there super long. The kids actually ended up playing more on the playground at Lincoln. Bobby rode his bike the most, which was nice to see.


After the random play date, we took the cotton candy necklace to my mom and hung out there long enough for a quick snack and then headed back home. I sent the boys into the pool while I worked on laundry and other assorted things. Ken brought home dinner so I didn’t even have to cook!

Sadly, despite the successful weekend, I am still left with some bruises. At one point when I let Luna in the house, she managed to stomp on my barefoot with incredible precision on the most painful part of my foot. Yeah, that left a mark. I also at one point smashed the side of my other foot into the corner of the rocking chair, leaving me limping for a bit afterwards. Sigh. I suppose it isn’t a good time unless someone gets hurt, right?

I leave this post with a fantastic visual. As I tucked Bobby in last night, I heard the tiny meow of Lucy who was on the dresser. She had seen me covering up her Bobby and she bolted over the furniture and random toys to get to Bobby quickly. He was settling, and she was not about to miss out on cozy sleepy time. It was nice to see the bonds taking place so soon! Ken went in at one point and Bobby’s back was to the door. He rolled over slightly to look and there was a tiny kitten head that also popped up. Yay!





No comments: