Monday, July 23, 2012

words

7-23-12


It is getting real.

Friday night, Ken got to drink the cactus juice. We went to dinner at East Side Marios, which turned out to be a pretty good place for even the kids. Dan enjoyed it, too, and we all had a lot of fun. Not as much fun as Ken, though.


After a long 2 weeks of double classes, he was pretty pooped. Mario’s, despite the menu indicating having Coke Zero, did not actually carry Ken’s drink of choice. So he opted to have a beer. And another. Oh, and 2 more for good measure. It was awesome! He was goofy, and Bobby kept joking with him that he would certainly sleep well that night. I enjoyed myself quite a bit, both parenting the boys and Ken, but being able to bond with Dan.



We went to Target afterwards so I could show Ken a pair of boots I had seen earlier in the day. They went home with me, which has made me quite happy. I also had entertaining conversations with Dan. I feel like a very wrong kind of Aunt, but I also showed him the book Fifty Shades in the store since he said he thought his mom, the most conservative person I know, was reading it. I picked up a copy from the shelf (which I have to say is still strange to see in a Target) and showed him a graphic passage. He said he was surprised at how much more graphic is was than he expected. Is it wrong for me to have shown him this? LOL!


Saturday was a day of shopping. Our household had to do a Costco and grocery store run, which was actually just fun time to hang out with Dan, who said it was a good time to just hang out. Although, I am sure his favorite part of the day was going to the New Flower Studio to get his lip pierced. YAY!

We went down to the studio, which I have to say, if you ever want anything done, even if you just want to get new jewelry, please check them out. The shop is gorgeous. It is clean and inviting and John is the coolest piercer ever. He doesn’t just shove a needle in your body. This man makes sure it is everything you wanted and more.


Dan got two piercings on his lower lip. It is possible his mother will be a level of pissed I have never seen possible in her. This will of course make for an interesting Ireland trip, but I hope she knows it wasn’t us rebelling against her.

I didn’t get anything done. With my nose still on the mend from this cold/allergy invasion, and the fact that I got my boots, I will get my nose done after our return.

That evening we hung out and chatted with Dan till midnight, talking about everything. He understands that there is a special oath as aunt and uncle that everything he tells us is confidential and doesn’t go back to his folks. Sure, perhaps our loyalty is the wrong direction, but I know that when you are a kid, you need those trusted grownups to be able to talk to about anything without fear of judgment. I had that with Robbie and I aim to provide that same report with my nieces and nephews.


Mike’s house was cleaned out over this past month, and thanks to the generosity of his sister, she let us use some of the space in the dumpster she got. This allowed us to clean out quite a bit of trash in the backyard. It made space for the PT which will go back there later this week. The yard is ready for our departure, which is quite happy making.

I also managed to pack both of the boys’ suitcases and most of mine. I still feel the need to find a couple of shirts more to pack. Ken decorated his suitcase last night, too, which will allow both of our bags to be easily identified when they are on the baggage carousel. Mine was done with spray paint, his with duct tape.


I can’t believe I leave in just a few short days. I was a little weepy as I dosed off last night, thinking about how much I am going to miss my boys. I know they (and I) will be ok, but it still doesn’t take away this dull ache I have in my chest. Even thinking about it right now is making my eyes fill, so I think I need to go to a different topic.

I always knew my voice carried, but I had no idea how much. As it became evident with the great wardrobegate at work a month ago, I found that the powers of my words are impressive. I had a conversation with one of the guys from the warehouse last week, discussing the lack of a Keurig machine in our mutual lunchroom. I thought about it a bit, and opted to write an internal blog about the lack of the machine. Aside from one comment from the always judgmental coworker in the other building, I didn’t hear anything. It was written Wednesday.

On Friday, an email went out that said a new Keurig was being installed in our lunchroom today.


When a few coworkers started asking around, it has come to my attention that it was my blog that actually prompted them to make the decision. Yes, my blog actually was read, discussed, and appreciated! Who knew??

I am wondering if perhaps I need to write about needing a raise…

The kittens continue their battle with squirt poop. It is getting messy. We started them on a diet of pumpkin, hoping this will help. I have seen some evidence of good, but last night, Lucy exploded and then managed to paw paint Bobby, his bed and much of the room in one bout of kitten energy.


Dan heads home tonight. I will miss him as he has been fun to have around, but I will admit I am looking forward to a couple of days of just being the 4 of us. Tomorrow evening, we are going with the boys to the newly opened McDonald’s play area. They are excited. I also plan on swimming with the boys on Wednesday so that I can just be with them. I am pleased that I am not behind schedule, and if anything, I am way ahead, which will allow me some quality time with them before we leave.



No comments: