Thursday, November 15, 2012

growing up

11-15-12


My boys are growing up much too fast.



We watched a Simpsons episode in which Grandpa Abe reconnected with his second wife that we didn’t know about before. The boys asked me if they still loved each other, even though it had been a really long time. This led us into a long discussion regarding love and relationships. Mind you, I tried to keep my answers simple, but both of them had so many questions. Bobby wanted to know how Greg and I broke up. He actually remembered Greg’s name from a conversation we had many many months ago. He wanted to know where Greg was now and if we were friends. Then he wanted to know what happened with Beth and Ken. It was really cute.



Dax then looked upset, and I asked him what was up. He looked at me with a very serious look and said, “I just don’t know who to marry. I think I should marry Madison. But then there is Brianna. And Sabrina!” He was quite distraught with choices. I explained to both of them that had I married the boy I liked when I was their age I would be married to Alan Mowery. I told them had I married the boy I liked when I was 14, it would have been Ed. I pointed out also that had I married the various boys I liked, they might not exist. I then had to use another Simpsons episode to explain how Lisa didn’t meet the boy she would consider marrying until she was in her twenties. She didn’t marry Milhouse, a boy she liked when she was younger. They seemed to get this. See, the Simpsons is actually helpful. LOL!


The boys were in full grown up mode earlier, too. Dax had been asking to walk/ride home by himself from school the past couple days. So yesterday when I went to pick them up, I opted to drive. I helped them unlock their bikes, but then bid them goodbye and good luck and I drove home a different way. They were totally fine, and I was shockingly ok with all of this. I wasn’t even worried, which shocked me. It was especially awesome seeing how proud Dax was when he got home. Bobby had been indifferent to the whole adventure, even letting Dax decide which way to go home. It was nice seeing them happy with themselves.




Today brings the actual parent/teacher conference with Ms. Jenkins. I have to admit, despite his award, I am a little nervous. Mostly because my kid can be a little chatty in class so I worry he has been a distraction. It sounds as though he has already been dubbed class clown. I suppose the good news is he is quite popular.

I was in a strange domestic place last night. I actually prepped dinner. I baked pumpkin mini muffins and even a pumpkin bread loaf. I also put together the crock pot for tonight’s dinner adventure. I found myself cleaning up the house a bit and being all organized. It was nice, though, being in a clean house. Especially nice being that my RC had to come over to sign a check. LOL!

It is also one of those times in which last night I was super happy with my critters. I love that when someone comes over so many of them greet the people. My dogs are excited, my cats are excited, and seriously, no one is more excited than the kittens. Everybody bounds up with enthusiasm and it is nice to know that all of them won’t eat the guest.

Boy aren’t I sounding like a glass half full kind of person this morning?


Even though I don’t have to leave until noon, I am considering going a little earlier. I think Ken gets home before that point from Costa. A lot of it depends on what is going on here. It has been a little hectic. I also have some soccer things to attend to, which is part of why I am considering going home.

I get the impression that most of the parents on our team would have been happy with the season being over this Saturday. That being said, I think all the kids are super jazzed they still have 3 more games.

I have a tough afternoon ahead of me with homework duties. Bobby was so upset yesterday just from the work, I had him stop since it wasn’t doing him any good to keep working. This leaves a paragraph summary tonight, alphabetizing 15 words and a couple of worksheets. I am crossing my fingers that it goes well.



No comments: