Wednesday, November 28, 2012

still no games, but glasses!

11-28-12


Even though the games were canceled, at least it was done democratically.



After a lot of back and forth with the RC, from myself and Ken, he was awesome in bringing it to the executive board for a vote. I do understand why everyone voted the way they did as we all were given the floor for 2 minutes. I think I might have even swayed one person a smidge with my plea to think of the kids, but ultimately, everyone except me voted against the Jamboree play. I was the lone vote for play (Ken isn’t on the Executive Board, so sadly he could not vote).



I am ok with it, mostly at peace. The RC agreed that we will work on the program, and with now 8 teams worth of families upset at what went down, there will be a lot of communication done about it. My team even said they would all write letters (some even seemed interested to showing up at the board meetings) to the RC discussing it. I take this as a win since ultimately it will help the region.

At least we had a practice last night that was AWESOME! Yeah, I know we don’t have a game coming up anymore, but the kids who showed up last night were excited to play against all of the parents who showed up. It was so much fun. For an hour or so, we played a full game. It was so incredibly happy making. Kids were laughing, parents were laughing, and it all made it so very clear as to why I love being involved.



My ankle is a little angry at me this morning. Nothing serious. Dax and I both went for a ball and you could actually hear the crack of two strong kicks on the ball at the same time echo over the field. I yelled out an ouch, but knew instantly I was not alone in my pain. I didn’t even have a chance to go down myself, instead scooping up my kid before he went down and took him off the field to assess his injury. Thankfully he was fine. It did hurt, and there were tears, but he is a tough cookie. Last night I asked him how his foot was, and he laughed at me and said he was fine, but then very seriously asked me how my foot was. LOL!

Yesterday afternoon found the boys and I in Old Torrance at our new Optometrist. The staff was incredibly nice and Bobby was actually pretty jazzed about the whole thing. He went back and did some of the eye tests while I filled out paper work and Dax continued writing his essay.

Dax only has to write like 3 sentences for his essay. He tends to write anywhere from 10 to 12.

When we all went into the exam room, the doctor came in and was very warm and friendly. He instantly greeted Bobby and started chatting with him. It was very cool. He did one of those awesome kid doctor things where he is talking to the kid, but clearly he is also talking to the parent. It is a cool balance and I have always enjoyed professionals who can pull it off.

Dr. Yu


Turns out Bobby has astigmatism. It is very minor the doctor said, and runs in the family. After some discussion with my mom, it is very possible that is what she has too. That being said, Ken had glasses at Bobby’s age, and just about everyone in my family did as well. The doc was happy, actually, since it is not all that bad in Bobby’s case, and ultimately, the glasses prescription he decided on will probably really help Bobby. It was interesting watching Bobby read the letters on the board. He truly struggled with a lot of them , mixing up letters that look similar to one another. When the corrections were made on the lens he was looking through, you could actually tell Bobby noticed a difference, and it was really awesome to see him perk up.



When we were sent out in the main area to pick frames, I mostly let him take the lead. After all, it is his face that has to wear them, and no matter what he chooses, he will look awesome. I also was able to let the tech help in making sure that the size fit his head correctly so as to not hurt his ears or nose.

He chose two pair, and we determined only one came in his size. They will be ordered, and based on the picture online they look black with a hint of red highlights on them. The description says blue, but if anything it will be a very dark blue, which will look awesome either way. He tried on the ones with orange and brown coloring in the same style. He looks very handsome.



With insurance coverage, the whole thing only costs me $100 which isn’t too bad. This includes the exam, the glasses, including special glass that is more kid proof, and all of the tests he had. This was not bad at all. There is of course the concern that he takes care of his glasses. He is really good about things like his iPod, so I think if he is trained in with the idea that his glasses are even more fragile, he will do well. The doc said he would not need to wear them when he plays soccer, or even just outside. He should wear them other than that. So the plan will be that he wears them at school. He will probably take them off at recess, but we will see. It may end up being something where he uses them even then. I won’t get to know how any of this goes for a couple weeks since they will not be ready for about 2 weeks.

I was a little worried he would get upset, but instead he looks at it as an amazing thing. He is so incredibly wise beyond his years sometimes. He declared that the glasses were changing his whole life, and he wasn’t saying that in a bad way. He truly feels like this will make life better.

Dax is quite taken with Katy Perry. In fact, I may need to hunt down a nice poster of her. He loves her song Firework, which is a fantastic song on many levels. It is really is a great anthem for someone like Dax who has some self-esteem issues. I am more than happy to encourage this celebrity crush of his. Dax was telling me how his teacher, who is also a fan, actually got to shake her hand. Mr. Williams is hopefully bringing in a picture of this encounter today.



Today looks to be another hectic afternoon for me. I will be pushing the kids to get their homework done quickly as we need to head down to the doctor for their flu shots. Luckily, the shots should not take long. Still, it does mean that it cuts into homework time.

I need to spend some time making sure the house is in order for the weekend. I don’t know how much time will be spent there, but I am not taking any chances.







No comments: