Thursday, October 18, 2012

hoop

10-18-12


I am a well-oiled machine.

I got to the school with the assumption that I would gather the boys quickly and we would hunt down one of the ice cream vendors so I could finally get them a teenage mutant ninja turtle popsicle. Instead, I was treated to a French lesson!


Mr. Williams had invited a couple of people in to show the kids some French. He invited me in to sit and listen to the questions the kids were asking them. It was awesome. The young man was very sweet and I think he appreciated me occasionally interpreting the kids’ questions. At one point, one of them asked him how to say Sponge Bob, and he looked to me with confusion since the kid made it sound more like smunge sbob smare spants. I can assure you I can now officially say I am bilingual since I speak kid.



I ran off to get Bobby, and he also got to sit in on the question and answer session. It was so awesome! Mr. Williams only invited me in, telling me after that I was the only parent he knew would love this and he said that I was also the only parent who seemed to really enjoy life. I take this as a great compliment.

Although the late departure from the campus did mean we missed out on the ice cream carts, the boys were surprisingly chipper. We got home and set to work on homework. I was a little annoyed with myself when it occurred to me that we still had a book summary due on the story of Sequoyah, but with the pace we were setting, I knew that we would be ok to handle that tonight and still have time for a couple book reports. My hopes now is to get ahead of the game like this and even have Bobby complete a book report a night since we were able to do it pretty quickly as a team. If he does one a night, we can stock pile those things so we can turn them in each week to make it look like we are not just doing a shit ton of them all at once. It also means that if we build up a reserve, if one night we don’t get a chance to do a book report we will be ok.



I sent the kids out to the pool since it was miserable hot out. I should have gone in too instead of working in the hot kitchen, but sometimes cooking dinner takes president over swimming. It was ok, though, since their friends came over and played with them in the pool. I would have let them play longer, but there seemed to be more disagreements than normal so I called them in at 5 instead of 6.

They wolfed down my spaghetti. I was shocked! Bobby normally complains even at the sight of it, but instead, he ate a huge bowl of the pasta. YAY! I didn’t even have to change noodles this time. I was so impressed, and feeling bad about the lack of TMNT ice pops that I took them to Fosters for a cone. I was even good and didn’t get anything for me, which is a huge sign of self-control.

The boys were being quite well behaved. Showers and show later, we read a book called Little Bear’s Visit. I have a couple of these books that had been somehow nuzzled in between other books on the shelf and had been ignored until last night. It was a perfect book for us. It was mostly dull, but that being said, it was broken into 3 chapters, which is ideal having me read one, and each boy got to read a chapter. Yay!



Now I have a day ahead of me in which I am in pain. I seem to have slept on my neck wrong. Lame. It doesn’t surprise me, though. It was really hot and I had a hard time getting comfortable last night. I did like the sound of the wind this morning. That was nice. It would have been nicer last night.

I have to remember to place the last couple orders for the fundraiser today at the school since it is the last day. We also have the McDonald’s night, which is pretty cool. I would say we will ride up there, but I think a Toys R Us run in happening since Ken needs to pick up some Lego for the party this weekend.

Turns out Dax is a whiz on the hula hoop. He was borrowing his friend’s and he just started doing it with no effort. It was memorizing. Bobby and I just watched, dumbstruck. It was amazing! I will be picking up his very own hoop tonight as well.



No comments: