Monday, October 8, 2012

Lots of Soccer!

10-8-12


Uncle Andy and Uncle Scotty rock!

I got a text from Andy on Saturday asking what our costume plans were for this year. I told him how we were actually going out shopping for those over this last weekend. He proceeded to tell me that they wanted to fund the families’ costumes since they love living vicariously through our photos. Have I mentioned how much I adore them?



Out soccer game was flat out the best game I have seen the boys play. Holy crap it was exciting! First off, we tied, which is a win for us. We were even ahead most of the game. We almost had a half a dozen other goals but with nail biting action they just couldn’t quite get it in the net. Seriously, I almost peed myself when Dax had an amazing break away through multiple other players. I watched with complete and utter pride as Bobby didn’t bother with his normal apprehension towards the ball and jumped in to several plays, doing some amazing defensive maneuvers.



Not only did my boys play well, the whole team kicked some serious ass. It was truly a beautiful game to watch and I was beaming with pride as they played their hearts out.

There were some sour points, specifically concerning the two players on the other team that were actually being heavily scrutinized. There had been numerous complaints about their dirty playing and we had several people, including the head ref who was supposed to be watching them like a hawk. Sadly, he didn’t call nearly as many pushes and dangerous plays as he should have. He also missed the one boy punch Dax in the back. I didn’t see this either since it wasn’t in the middle of a play, and Dax didn’t really complain until after the game. My dad saw it, though. My dad was pretty pissed. He was yelling at this kid all through the game as he watched him push and play dangerously over and over again. This kid did get called on some of them, but not enough.

Dax went down in the game once after a collision with another player. He got a bit of a Charlie horse on his leg. I asked him if he wanted to keep playing, and man if I didn’t hear him practically growl at me with a yes I would have sworn it was some kind of demon. It was awesome.

My parents drove us up to Cost Plus where we did a little shopping. The boys and I then got to walk back which was really nice. We got to look at the house that always does really fun Halloween decorating each year. The theme for this year was a hoe down with skeletons. YAY!

After soccer we ended up going to Target and then to dinner at Denny’s. We then decided to go over to the Disney store since Dax finally decided for sure that he wanted to be the Hulk. Disney store costumes are about the same price as most Halloween shops if not a little cheaper, and they are a million times better quality. The Buzz Lightyear costume we got for Bobby some years back is still in amazing shape, especially considering these boys have worn it a lot. Since the Disney store had the Avengers line, we knew a Hulk costume from there was the way to go.


Bobby also decided to go ahead and Avenger it up with Dax and chose Thor’s costume. It seems fitting considering the hair. LOL! This has caused Ken to start looking into either a Hawkeye costume or even Loki. Yes, it may be a family theme this year, which does mean I may be scrapping my original plans and I might go with Black Widow. I don’t mind one bit since dressing up as a family is super happy making.

On Sunday the boys went to work with Ken. Ken had a birthday party he was doing so they went with him to help out. All of my boys all rocking the staff shirts was pretty fun. It also gave me a couple hours to myself. I managed to catch up on Parenthood and do some cleaning around the house.

There were some people anxious for their return. Their little friends across the street were pacing in front of the house, looking for the van which would signify the return of their friends. They showed up at 2, which was announced by way of a cheer I heard from them before I could even hear the van pull up. It was really cute.

The boys and their friends all played from 2 to 7. Yes, I know their bedtime is 7, but they were having so much fun we couldn’t say no. We even went out at one point and threw the ball for Luna in the front and the kids and Luna all played catch with Ken. It was awesome.



Yesterday afternoon I also jogged! I had been wanting to do a little bit here and there, specifically with Bobby. The kids were all playing, and I was just feeling much too lazy all day. So I hooked up Miss Luna and put on my shoes and headed out for a jog. Dax ran after me and he decided to run with me.

We went at a decent pace. Dax said I was going fast, but I didn’t really think so. I made it all the way around the block without feeling like I had to stop once. I am so proud! It means I am getting better in shape for this. So the plan for now is to run around the block once a day. Bobby will come with us next time. We will work our way up to long distances. I am still doing my treadmill at work and all of the bike trips, but this is an extra thing.

I need to get back on track on this weight loss. Sure, I have maintained and done well, but I need to step it up again. I perfected an egg white breakfast burrito which is awesome. I can make those the night before and they heat up great in the morning. I need to cut down on some portions, too. I can do it, and I am excited again. My calves are looking so much better these days. In fact, I managed to get a pair of high boots at Target over the weekend that actually fit! YAY!



Ken was quite generous in my shopping this weekend. He got me a couple pair of earring and a new necklace along with the boots. YAY!

I did fail in the fact that I didn’t have Bobby or Dax do homework over the weekend. It has just occurred to me that Dax was supposed to finish some kind of story. Crap!!! Ok, we will do it tonight. I am not going to stress.

I am getting a little hell bent on the homework, actually. My mom looked it up and LA Unified homework policies state that 1st graders should only have 20 minutes a night, with 2nd grade only 30 minutes. I can assure you, even if the boys were not dinking around, there is no freaking way they could finish all that they have in that amount of time. Bobby has to complete in 4 days 3 book reports (like a page each, btw) 16 worksheets, 15 original sentences, write spelling words (15 of them) twice each, put them in alphabetical order which also requires writing them along with reading the same 10 page book each night. Oh, and those worksheets are often something where he has to write a paragraph on at least 4 of them. Yes, and he has 4 days if you don’t count the weekends. I am tempted to go and speak to the principal since this isn’t a teacher specific thing. This is a school thing and all the teachers should be working towards making less. I also want to check into the PE length each day. They are required by state law to do 100 minutes every week. Even though this is complete bullshit in how little this is, I have a feeling they are not even doing that. I am going to ask, though. I also am considering taking a day off and spending it at the school. I might volunteer in one or both of the classrooms.



Look, I want my kids to do well, but I don’t want them to continue using archaic ideas in how they teach them. At least with Mr. Williams, I feel like his homework load is reasonable. Honestly, if Dax really applied himself, he actually could probably get it done in about 30 minutes. I can live with that. Bobby’s takes upwards of 2 hours.

Another exciting and cool thing was who I bumped into this weekend at the soccer field. I noticed this woman and I was sure I knew her. She was the wife of my second soccer coach. I looked around and saw what appeared to be her daughter, the one I played soccer with! YAY! So I say to her, “I know you!” She laughed and I told her that I played soccer with her husband. She then calls Dave over! OMG! YAY! He was there! I told her I was Gena, and she goes, “Gena Bowlby?!?!? WOW!” Very cool to have them remember me. I got to chit chat with Dave for a while, which was really wonderful. It was a cool full circle.



No comments: